Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Intentionality




Every part of her drawing has intention...you wouldn't think so with a two year old.  Annie will proclaim the color or shape before she draws; "dots, circle, triangle, yellow right here!"  And she uses the entire surface of the paper, corner to corner.  She is probably no more capable than other kids drawing at her age.  I find it interesting how difficult demonstrating, "intentionality" is for many of my art school-bound students preparing their portfolios.  Art schools tend to put this "spell" on kids...an over-emphasis to show their "voice" (in my opinion) at the expense of fundamental mastery of basic design and skill.  I would far prefer art schools to encourage my kids to be Students with a capital "S" over Artist with a capital "A." There is a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment