Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Instructor of "Other"






"In what subject did you teach this student?" asks the, "Common App" form on Naviance....the website we upload recommendations written for our college-bound students.  Since, "Art" was not a choice, I clicked, "Other."

A few of the less-common things about school that annoyed me when I was a student:  As a young child I was embarrassed to be the only one using the green-rubber-coated left-handed scissors in the "special" cabinet...so I learned to use them righty.  I was especially annoyed (still am) by those freakin' right-handed desks...and we wonder why lefties look funny when writing!  I won't even get into my loathing for calligraphy, an art form not designed for this lefty.

Truth be told: I generally don't sweat the small stuff anymore.

But something big has been brewing for most of my many years as an arts educator; the need, the responsibility, the calling...whatever...to communicate the value of the arts.  Never been much of a cause-guy, but seems most of academia is still in the Dark-Ages about the arts.  So out of my studio, brush in clenched hand, I shall slither to take up the cause.  I am preparing to speak on two panels; a community college and high school symposium on Teaching the 21st Century Student.

I am also developing workshops tailored to corporations promoting the ubiquitous value of creativity. Corporations, after all, hire graduates, fill high school and college school boards, fund programs and greatly inform educational practices.  Figure I'll start there.

I have been greatly influenced by perspectives on creativity that have made global impacts including those of Daniel Pink, Sir Ken Robinson and my cousin Jon Iadonisi (Check them out on Google).   I am sold on creativity, will pound my chest and carry the torch!  Hoorrahh!  

Okay, maybe I shouldn't channel my inner William Wallace because that didn't end too well for him.  I guess a haircut and shave, clothes that aren't paint stained and some fancy flash cards will do.  Wish me luck!

Jim DeCesare
Instructor of "Other"


No comments:

Post a Comment