Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Seeing Family Off to War

We said a tearful goodbye to Kelly's brother Mark at the airport today. Mark is an Army Officer leaving for his second tour of duty in the Middle East. Kelly and I have both retired and active members of the military in our families.

I thought about my grandfather, Vincenzo DeCesare. I created this painting from an old photo taken of him when he served in WWI. The photo and the painting convey a raw, sober emotion. I often wonder what that reality was for him as a teenage boy going to war. I know little of his experiences as a soldier. I was told that as an Italian immigrant, my grandfather took great pride serving as an American soldier. (I am not so sure he felt that pride at the moment the photo as taken.)

We weep for our loved ones as we see them off to war, but beam with pride for their service and sacrifice. The soldiers in my family are not politicians and they especially are not victims of some corrupt government as too often conveyed in the media. They are our heroes, serving their country dutifully.

A woman approached Mark moments before his departing flight and simply said, "thank you for your service to our country," and then continued on her way... so fitting.

Godspeed, Mark.


1 comment: